Having a great mattress can be a necessity for your life, but it is even better to have a mattress that you can move around and take with you anywhere. A portable mattress is a useful bed surface that adds a soft surface you will enjoy sleeping on while also being easy to fold up.
Getting one of these mattresses is a worthwhile idea to consider, but you need to look at how well your mattress is laid out and that you have a good plan for using it. This guide will assist you in reviewing some of the best portable mattresses that you can find today.
The Basics of a Portable Mattress
Although you might have seen inflatable mattresses in the past, a portable mattress is very different. A portable mattress features a flexible body that you can fold or roll up and store in a protective bag so you can roll it out for later use.
The best portable mattress should include a few helpful features:
- The mattress needs to have a flexible surface.
- The body should be thick enough to support your weight and give you a good space to sleep on.
- The versatility of the mattress is important. Anything that can work for athletic purposes or as a chair when folded up is always a plus to have.
- Any covers on the mattress, particularly anything that can be removed, should be looked at just as well.
The portable mattress is a convenient type of mattress that lets you sleep on a good space in any place, but it is important to look at the models that are out there. This guide will help you understand what you can find on today’s market when getting a portable mattress. These include travel beds for adults as well as some cots for kids.
The first mattress to see is this tri-fold bed from Milliard. At six inches thick, this uses a 1.5-inch memory foam material while a 4.5-inch foam base adds extra support around the surface. The surface will not lose its shape over time.
The tri-fold layout produces a body with three segments of equal size. You can move all three segments out to create a perfectly rectangular body, although you can also stack the surface around to create a seat-like layout.
A bamboo fabric cover is added to the top part for a comfortable surface that does not trigger allergies. You can remove the cover and wash it off as necessary.
- Soft surface
- Folds up evenly
- Can be used outdoors in a tent
- Difficult to wash the main foam body
- May be too long for some needs
A basic foam surface is used on this bed, but what makes this more unique is that this is a flip out chair bed. You can fold up the tri-fold layout of this bed to create a chair surface. You can then fold it out all the way to create a fully flat sleeping surface with a 4-inch foam body. At around twenty pounds or so depending on the size of the bed, you will find that this model is also easy to tote around and use in many spaces around your home.
- Carrying handles make it easy to tote around
- Fabric cover handles stains well
- Cover can be removed off of the surface and washed off
- Medium-firm foam adds a soft surface
- No bag for storage use
- Might not handle more than one adult at a time depending on its size
The Fold-N-Go mattress is a tri-fold bed with a 4-inch foam body. Specifically, three inches are used for the base while the top inch is made with memory foam to add an extra bit of comfort. The surface supports your weight and will revert back to its original shape after you get up off of the surface.
A polyester cover is added onto the top of the mattress. This cover can be removed and machine-washed. This is also an antimicrobial cover that resists various allergens.
The fire-retardant body of the foam surface also keeps you comfortable. This also works among chair beds for adults as it could be folded up to create a chair-like layout if desired.
- Soft surface makes it easy to sleep on
- Works well for camping purposes
- Weighs less than fifteen pounds
- Can tear apart if not handled accordingly
- Polyester cover can take in stains quickly
This is a 4-inch memory foam mattress that uses a cover that can be added and zipped up to keep the space comfortable. The cover can be added and removed in a few moments. The foam is thick enough to work on a surface without creasing or bending around as you use it.
This all comes in a package where the entire surface has been fully compressed. The unit is sent directly to your home in a comfortable package that allows the material to stay intact and secure for when you need to get it opened up all the way.
- Hypoallergenic foam keeps bacteria in check
- Flexible foam conforms to your body
- Tri-fold design adds extra comfort
- Cover needs to be fit onto the mattress right
- Can shift around while sleeping
This next choice uses a polyurethane body that comes with a polyester fiber foam surface. The tri-fold layout lets you keep the mattress in a comfortable surface. The design also lets you fold it up quickly when you don’t have a need for it.
The double stitched surface ensures that the mattress will stay intact and not be at risk of tearing apart or wearing out. The design of this mattress makes it soft and easy to add onto any surface you need it on. The back part also grips onto a surface well enough to ensure it will stick to a space without possibly slipping around while in use.
- Can be used as a yoga mat
- Weighs less than ten pounds
- Sturdy handles provide you with a good surface for carrying it around
- May be too thin for some people to use
- Fabric included might be uncomfortable to some
There are two important parts to notice on this comfortable surface. The two-inch durable hard foam surface adds a good design while the 1.5-inch gel foam adds a soft surface that is easy to relax on. The tri-fold design adds a good surface that is easy to fold up.
The jacquard cover adds a soft style you will love to sleep on. The zipper system keeps the mattress secure and added well onto a surface. This works well with other covers, but the main jacquard cover here is sized to fit well on the mattress topper’s form.
The foam surface is dense and adds a strong design that keeps a soft design. The comfortable layout is easy to relax on and gives you a good night’s sleep when used well enough.
- Fabric is non-woven and bound to create a sturdy body
- One third can be positioned upward to create a back layout
- Folds up in seconds
- Cover needs to avoid excess stretching
- Tough to add the cover onto the mattress
This model is a little different for how it features a four-part folding setup. The first two parts make up thirds of the mattress. The third part is divided in half to create a good layout that works with a small backing surface as desired.
The firm cushioning on this body adds a great surface. You can fold it up well to create a good design. A zip fabric cover is also included on this body to add a nice cover that you can add onto a space to create a good body.
- Useful folding design
- Soft surface adds a good space for sleeping
- The foam does not wear off even as you store the mattress
- A little heavier in weight than most other models
- Can shift on the floor while in use
The last option to find is this roll-up model from Simmons, a popular name in the mattress field. Simmons made this as a three-inch model that features a mix of comfort foam and memory foam together. The two combine to produce a soft plush surface that is easy to clean off and will resist most allergens.
The mattress can be rolled up and stored in another space for later use. You can get it rolled up in just seconds. The mattress even comes with a nylon carrying bag for secure transport and storage.
The thin three-inch design lets you enjoy a good rest without having anything overly bulky. The design also has a body that lets you add any kind of cover you want onto the surface. You can add a fitted sheet onto the top part of the surface. This works well provided the sheet is capable of conforming to the shape of the mattress surface. By adding it right, you will have an added space for sleeping that gives you an extra bit of comfort when you need a bit of rest.
- The body does crease or bend up much while in storage
- Can also work as a mattress topper
- The thin body might not be comfortable on some hard base surfaces
- You need your own cover on this pad
Additional Points to See
All of these options for a portable mattress are useful, but there are a few extra things to look at as you find a mattress that does well for your demands:
- Review any carrying cases that may come with your mattress. You might have to get one separately if you have to. See that the case you order is easy to add and use as necessary and that you have a good plan on hand for making it work.
- Be aware of the materials that the mattress is made out of. Many models include organic compounds, but you should look at how well the structure is made regardless. This is to give you an idea of how well the surface may work.
- Look at the sizing based on who would potentially use your mattress. You can find some mattresses that come in twin, full, or even king sizes. Be sure that the size you use is suitable for anyone who wants to utilize the bed.
- Make sure the backing on the mattress is reviewed well. Anything with a surface that adheres to the ground and will not cause the mattress to shift around as you are sleeping is perfectly fine.
- Not all portable mattresses can work as toppers on a more traditional mattress. Such portable models might be too thick, although you could try this with a slimmer model if you wish provided that it can fit on top of the existing mattress you are using.
- You can also add a pillow onto the end of the mattress but you must see that the pillow uses a good cover or case that keeps it from slipping off.
A Final Note
Getting the best portable mattress for your liking can be easy to do when you look at what is around. You will find that it is easy for you to enjoy a good sleep on any space whether it entails a camping site, an outing with friends, or any other situation where you need an extra sleeping surface added at on the last minute.
Be careful when choosing a mattress option so you can find an option that fits well on a surface and adds a good way for anyone to get to sleep and feel comfortable while doing so. You will find that the best portable mattress will be easy to sleep on without being hard on your body as you use it.